Monday, June 4, 2012

Impermanence

Some days, when the work has a difficult time coming through while I'm working in the studio, I hook up the old laptop in the studio and stream documentaries to help organize my thoughts and inspire me. Yesterday was such a day. While watching the documentary, Tides and Rivers, I was inspired by the parallels drawn between the work of Andy Goldsworthy and the tradition of flying prayer flags.

Here is a short trailer:




The full documentary can be found on Google in a lower quality and is also available streaming on Netflix.

3 comments:

  1. barbara, i got goosebumps from this... i understand what you mean about the parallel - it's about setting free, working with intention, taking your small human self and becoming a part of something ever so much bigger...
    this is so funny that you posted about andy goldsworthy - i had been revisiting robert smithson's spiral jetty just yesterday and some of his work was mentioned... the use of a naturally occurring spiral flow in a pool and making it come alive with leaves was beautiful...
    thank you so much for this - it will stay with me all day - and have me searching for the full program...

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very beautiful - thank you for sharing this. For me, it holds a lesson of being able to let go - something I struggle with. I am still totally blown away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Barbara - weathering and returning...as you say like peace flags. The beauty of being in the world and the environment and just being part of it and then gradually fading...Gentle and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete